The most common question I get about sustainable and ethical fashion is, “Where can I shop?”
Here’s my go-to list of eco and ethical retailers and brands, which will be continually updated as I find more brands I love.
(S) = sustainable, (E) = ethical, (V) = vintage/secondhand, (H) = independent artisan/handmade, (POC) = person/people-of-color-owned, (W) = woman-owned
- ASOS Eco Edit (S) – sustainably made, trendy street style items
- Etsy (V/H) – handmade and vintage items from independent small shops
- Garmentory (S/E/V/H) | discount: get $20 off your first purchase – shop indie designer goods from local boutiques all across the country, all on one online platform! it’s a little too addicting.
- Preservation (S/E/V) – vintage and new clothes with a retro vibe
- ABLE (E) – ethically made leather goods, apparel, and denim
- American Apparel (E) – ethically made basics
- Amour Vert (S/E) – feminine, timeless classics and beautiful prints; a tree is planted for every purchase of a tee
- Eileen Fisher (S/E/W) – one of the OGs of sustainable fashion! great for feminine classics in natural fibers and neutrals
- Everlane (E) | review – all about “radical transparency” and modern updates on classic silhouettes
- Grana (S/E) | Mongolian cashmere review | discount: get 10% off your first purchase– high quality materials at reasonable prices
- Lacausa (S/E) – think “desert getaway”; flowy, effortless pieces ethically made in Los Angeles
- Mara Hoffman (S/E/W) – high fashion pieces in bold prints and simple yet dramatic shapes; love that they feature WOC models!
- Reformation (S/E/W) – ultra-feminine pieces that will turn heads
- Siizu (S/E) – basics to live in
- Synergy Organic Clothing (S/E) | Ibiza dress and tee review – organic cotton basics and athletic wear
- Uniform (E) | bomber jacket review – ethically made in Africa; a school uniform is donated with every purchase
- Vetta Capsule (S/E) – capsule collections designed to be worn multiple ways
- ADAY (S/E) – stylish yet functional clothes designed for everyday and athletic wear
- Girlfriend Collective (S/E/POC/W) | review | discount: 10% off with code ‘cat’ – athletic wear made from recycled water bottles; literally the comfiest leggings ever; love that they feature WOC models!
- Outdoor Voices (S/E/W) – minimalist activewear in stunning seasonal hues; sure to turn heads during your workout!
Intimates and swim:
- allSisters (S/E) – modern, sexy twist on classic swimwear
- Azura Bay (S/E/W) – sustainable and ethical lingerie and swimwear retailer
- Mara Hoffman (S/E/W) – fun but wearable prints and colors
- Naja (S/E/POC/W) – collection ranges from fun prints to sexy lingerie
- Proclaim (S/E/POC/W) | review | discount: $15 off with code ‘CAT15’ – made from recycled water bottles; redefining the color “nude” with inclusivity at their heart
- Alice + Whittles (S/E) – sustainably made rainboots! super cute and made in Canada
- Allbirds (S/E) | wool loungers review – the comfiest sneakers made from natural materials!
- Dr. Martens (S/E) – wardrobe classics; leather and faux leather boots and shoes with a grungey-cool vibe
- Everlane (E) – wide selection ranging from heels to boots to sandals
- M.gemi (E) | discount: get $50 off your first purchase – direct to consumer handmade Italian shoes
- Nisolo (E) | Isla slide review | discount: get $25 off $100 – ethically made leather shoes and goods; love the level of transparency on the website
- 31 Bits (E/H/W) – pretty jewelry, home goods, and straw bags made by artisans in Bali
- Automic Gold (S/E/H/W) | review – fine jewelry made from 14k solid, reclaimed gold; inclusive & LGBTQ-owned!
- Baleen (S/E/H/W) – zero-waste statement jewelry; based in Seattle
- Jewel Posse (S/E/H/POC/W) | review – statement jewelry made from concrete and marble; Black-owned!
- Machete (S/E/H/W) – beautiful eco-friendly tortoise acetate jewelry
- Rock Salt Vintage (S/E/H/W) – gorgeous minimal designs from recycled metals
- Soko (S/E/POC/W) – artisan-made jewelry
- Wasted Effort (S/E/H/W) – creative, colorful, and handmade pieces
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. I’ve only included retailers and brands that I have shopped from, or would shop from, myself, and meet my standards for ethical and sustainable practices (learn more about what “ethical” and “sustainable” mean here).
Know a cool sustainable and ethical brand that’s not on here? Let me know!